ATM Shortage

In the event that you experience an issue with an ATM withdrawal, we can research your claim. It is likely we will reach out to you for additional details, so please provide your contact information in the Transaction Dispute form.

For your reference, we have listed several common questions that will assist us in researching your ATM issue. Please include answers to these questions, where applicable:

  • Was the ATM a First Tennessee/Capital Bank ATM, or another financial institution?
  • What occurred during your transaction? (Examples below)
    • Was there a time delay/did the ATM pull the cash back in?
    • Was there no cash dispensed?
    • Was the amount dispensed less or more than your account was charged?
    • Do you recall an error message displayed on the ATM?

Get Started

Card Dispute

We will open a dispute claim for you upon your request. However, you might want to consider contacting the merchant first.

In general, there are two categories of disputes:

  • Transactional/billing disputes (for example, you were erroneously billed twice for a single purchase or were billed too much for a transaction.)
    • In order for us to open a transactional/billing dispute, you will need to provide us with the following information:
      • Your name and account number
      • The dollar amount of the suspected error
      • A detailed description of what you believe is wrong
      • Why you believe it was a mistake
    • To minimize any liability you might have for disputed amounts and to maximize our ability to assist you, it is extremely important that you notify us of your dispute within the timeframes set forth in your cardholder agreement.
    • Once we open your dispute, we may request that you forward us additional information to support your claim. Items commonly requested include:
      • Transaction receipt(s)
      • Copies and/or descriptions (including dates) of all communications you have had with the merchant concerning the dispute.
  • Product/Service dispute
    • If you are dissatisfied with the goods or services that you have purchased, we may be able to assist you with a billing dispute.  In order to exercise this right, all of the following must be true:
      • The purchase must have been made in your home state or within 100 miles of your current mailing address, and the purchase price must have been more than $50. We consider any purchase made online or over the phone with a U.S. company to be from your home state. (Note: These stipulations do not apply to purchases based on any advertisements we mailed to you, or if we own the company that sold you the goods or services.)
      • You must have used your card for the purchase. Purchases made with cash advances from an ATM or by accessing your credit card account do not qualify.
      • You must not yet have fully paid for the purchase.
    • If you are dissatisfied with goods or services on a purchase that does not meet the criteria above, you may still contact us to discuss other options.

Get Started

Card Fraud/Unauthorized Transaction

If your card is lost or stolen, call us immediately, at 800-639-5111.

Tips for when you suspect fraudulent/unauthorized use of your card:

When you see an unfamiliar charge on your card, a natural reaction is to reach immediately for the phone. A few things can make a legitimate transaction appear suspect.

  • Retailers sometimes bill under different names.
  • The transaction may have been made by an authorized user of your card who didn’t tell you about it.

If you notice an unfamiliar charge on your card or statement, you can consider taking the following quick steps before promptly reporting a suspect transaction to us:

  • Think about whether the amount of any of your recent purchases matches the amount of the transaction in question and whether the merchant may have charged or billed under a different name.
  • Speak with people who may have or have access to the card such as household members, joint account holders, or any authorized user you may have named.

When you believe that a transaction in question may be fraudulent/unauthorized, call us promptly at 800-639-5111 so that we can begin a Fraud Claim.

  • To assist us, please review your account to identify any suspect activity and be prepared to provide us with all details regarding the charge(s):
    • Name of the retailer(s)
    • Date of purchase(s)
    • Purchase amount(s)
    • Any other related or relevant facts

What Happens Next?

  • If necessary, we will immediately freeze your account to prevent further unauthorized activity, and the fraud team will open an investigation.
  • We will close your card and issue you a new one.
  • If we determine your PIN has been compromised, we will need you to visit a local branch to complete a Statement of Facts regarding the transactions.

For more information about safeguarding your information, visit our our Security and Fraud Protection page.

Online Bill Pay Claim

Can I stop a bill payment after I have initiated it?

Future-dated payments can be modified or deleted until 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time on the date scheduled to be processed.

Same-day bill payment processing begins immediately after you initiate it. Therefore, once a same-day payment request is completed, it cannot be modified or deleted by you. If a same day bill pay was scheduled in error, contact us at 800-639-5111 prior to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time for assistance.

If your bill payment was sent as a check:

  • If your check request has already been processed, a stop payment may be placed for a fee of $20. We cannot guarantee a stop payment for 24 hours. You may not place a stop payment if the check has already been cashed by the payee.
    • Once a stop payment has been placed, it may take up to five business days for funds to be returned to your account. Please note that the payee may assess a returned check fee for the stop payment, for which Capital Bank will not be responsible.
    • To place a stop payment, please select Transaction Dispute, found in the Self-Service Forms tab under the Other Services icon. Next, select the Type of Dispute of Online Bill Pay Claim and once in the form, select the Payment Investigation Type of Stop Payment.

If your bill payment was sent electronically (via an ACH transaction):

  • You cannot place a stop payment on an electronic payment request once it is submitted.

If a payment was made in error, please select Transaction Dispute, found in the Self-Service Forms tab under the Other Services icon. Next, select the Type of Dispute of Online Bill Pay Claim and once in the form, select the Payment Investigation Type of Payee Did Not Receive Payment. Comments can be added in the additional information section.

Request Copy of Sales Draft

As your funds issuer, First Tennessee/Capital Bank can request a Sales Draft from a merchant. A Sales Draft is a duplicate of the original transaction receipt. An Authentic Sales Draft must include the following information to prove the validity of the transaction:

  • Merchant name, physical address, and online address where applicable.
  • Transaction description, date and amount, and whether the transaction was a purchase or credit.
  • Card type, number and expiration date, authorization code, and cardholder name.

Get Started

Need More Info?